Student Cluster Competition
Friedrich-Alexander University / Technical University of Munich
- What is the name of your team and why did you choose it?
We are “TUManysegFAUlts”
- Complex cooperation between two universities:
- Tradition of FAU (F-aaaah-ooh) team and TUM (T-ooh-M) team (last year: Team SegFAUlt and PhiClub)
- we wanted to choose a name which represents both universities by 1) name and 2) style (e.g. all the p(h)uns!)
- Because it’s p(h)unny
- Name stands for encountering various unexpected problems (like segfaults) and overcoming these and learning from them
- And of course - segmentation fault (core dumped): Sorry, there must have been just an error… Anyway, let’s continue
- Why do you think your team will have an edge in the event (what's your secret sauce)?
- Chili + barbecue (no mayonnaise please)
- Diversity → two universities, not only computer scientists, ...
- Combination of experienced team members and motivated newbies (combined forces - may the FAUrce be with us)
- But of course we won’t leak our most secret sauce - just wait and see ;)
- What have you done to prepare that makes your team unique?
- We are planning on watching that movie about the phi-club, in order to get to know our roots (the Munich part anyway)
- We trained our fault hunting skills (detection +3, frustration +10)
- We chose a name for our training cluster - Adam. But we can’t remember why anymore. Must be a memory violation issue. Either way, it doesn’t have an Eve so far, so it is looking forward to meeting another cluster to marry and have a node with
- What are you most looking forward to in the competition?
- Using the knowledge we gained during our studies
- Having a real reason to work at a cluster at 3 am (No pain, no gain! As long as our
nodes aren’t in drain, that was a nightmare! - YES IT WAS, indeed! :D As far as
nightmares can exist with no sleep (cf. slurm) - And now, the LRZ has a KNL cluster.
But it is in drain again. It runs in the family!)
- Getting to know a lot of interesting people from all over the world
- Exchanging experiences
- Visiting another country
- Having phun
- How long will it take you to get to Denver?
- The phlights will take 12:40 h and 11:10h respectively (if there is no memory leak)
- What do your team members do for fun?
- P(h)uns & writing words oddly
- Writing emails (a lot of them)
- Editing google documents
- Debugging programs with segfaults (we have to get rid of them!)
- Discussing names for our cluster in Denver
- Writing songs about segfaults
- If your team had a theme song, what would it be?
- If I were a segFAUlt (to be written)
- Can you share an interesting fact about your team?
- First Bavarian collaboration in SCC@SC
- And actually we are robots (no, cyborgs!) with better AI than the Google one, but
don’t tell anyone!