Student Cluster Competition
(Shanghai Jiao Tong University)
- What is the name of your team and why did you choose it?
"Minuscule Optimization". Performance gaining is never easy, and efforts should be made constantly. We use this name to encourage ourselves to never let go any slight possibilities of optimization, and to have an appropriate expectation towards our work.
- Why do you think your team will have an edge in the event (what's your secret sauce)?
As a first-time participant, we hope we can make full use of our experiences gained from competitions
like ASC and previous research work.
- What have you done to prepare that makes your team unique?
We’ve been holding seminars on miniapps since May in order to promote program analysis techniques and awareness upon various math kernels with different performance characteristics.
- What are you most looking forward to in the competition?
The random power-off. We’ve run into unexpected power failures in our daily cluster usage, so we
know it is meaningful to have such a challenge. The random timing makes uncertainty, further adds
excitement to the task.
- How long will it take you to get to Denver?
About 14 hours’ flight, but there will be additional time for transferring.
- What do your team members do for fun?
Different people prefer different entertainment, but most members enjoy playing badminton.
- If your team had a theme song, what would it be?
We have reached no consensus so far, as everyone likes different genres of music.
- Can you share an interesting fact about your team?
The mixed background of our members. Our team include students from 3 grades (all excepting
September newcomers), and their interests range from architecture and security to network and
algorithm, even natural science.